Contact us with any issues

You can refer alleged breaches of the Customer Owned Banking Code of Practice to the Customer Owned Banking Code Compliance Committee (COBCCC) for investigation if your customer owned banking institution is a subscriber to the Code.

You can find our contact details here.

If you are concerned that your customer owned banking institution is breaching the Code, you can refer the matter to us for investigation.

Contact us

The COBCCC’s role is to monitor compliance and investigate breaches against the Code.

We will then recommend corrective action if needed.

If you require a specific outcome such as compensation, an apology, or for your problem to be fixed – you should make a complaint to your customer owned banking institution or the Australian Financial Complaints Authority.

Link to AFCA website.

We will need the following information before investigating an alleged breach of the Code.

  • Your contact details
  • If you are lodging the concern on behalf of someone else
  • Name of your customer owned banking institution
  • When the events causing your concern occurred
  • When you first became concerned about an alleged Code breach
  • When you first reported your concern to your customer owned banking institution
  • How you raised your concern with your customer owned banking institution
  • Description of your concern
  • Why you are not satisfied with the response (if any) received from your customer owned banking institution
  • Supporting documentation (e.g. copies of correspondence)

If you do not wish to provide some of the information but would still like to report a concern, please email us or call 1800 931 678 and ask to speak to our Code team.

You can report a concern

By contacting the COBCCC, you agree to us capturing any information as provided by you. All information provided to us is handled and protected in accordance with our Privacy Statement.

In this regard, you understand that the information you provide – as well as any other information including any documents and other material relevant to your claim of breach by the named customer owned banking institution – will be shared between the named customer owned banking institution and the COBCCC for consideration and investigation of your claim.

For more information about how the COBCCC collects, uses and stores your personal information please see our Privacy Statement.

The COBCCC is committed to being accessible to all Australians and is focused on ensuring vulnerable and disadvantaged people can readily use our service.

The Committee abides by the legislation of the Disability Discrimination Act 1992.

You can contact us and tell us if you need assistance to report an issue.

The COBCCC collects information about potential Code breaches to improve industry practice.

These organisations may be able to assist if you have other concerns. 

Dispute resolution

Australian Financial Complaints Authority (AFCA)

AFCA provides consumers and small businesses with fair, free and independent dispute resolution for financial complaints.

Financial counsellors

Financial Counselling Australia (FCA)

FCA’s website has a service locator for organisations providing financial counselling in each state and territory.

You can also call 1800 007 007 to be automatically transferred to the phone service in your state (free call 9.30am to 4pm, Monday to Friday).

Financial Counselling Victoria Inc (FCVic)

Financial counsellors assist Victorians in financial difficulty by providing information, support and advocacy. Working within the community sector, services are free, independent and confidential. You can call 03 9663 2000 or email [email protected].

Legal aid

National Legal Aid 

This organisation’s website features a list of legal advice contacts for each state or territory.

These services are free, independent and confidential.

Community legal centres

National Association of Community Legal Centres

Community legal centres (CLCs) are independently-operated, not-for-profit community organisations that provide legal and related services to the public, focusing on the disadvantaged and people with special needs.

Consumer credit legal centres

These centres provide advice for consumers with legal questions about financial services.

ACT: Consumer Law Centre

NSW: Consumer Credit Legal Centre

QLD: Caxton Legal Centre

SA: Consumer Credit Law Centre

TAS: Consumer Credit Hotline

VIC: Consumer Action Law Centre

WA: Consumer Credit Legal Service

Finance tools and support

Money Smart

Offers free, independent guidance so that consumers can make the best choices for their money.

National Debt Helpline

Directs you to financial counsellors in your area. Features a ‘Debt Self-Help Tool’.

Mob Strong

Part of the Financial Rights Legal Centre, Mob Strong Debt Help is a free legal advice service about money matters for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples from anywhere in Australia.

Industry bodies

Customer Owned Banking Association  (COBA)

COBA members are duty bound to adhere to the Customer Owned Banking Code of Practice.

Government agencies and industry regulators

Australian Competition & Consumer Commission (ACCC)

Assesses complaints about business practices and provides guidance to businesses and consumers on their rights and obligations under the Australian Consumer Law.

Australian Prudential Regulation Authority (APRA)

Promotes prudent behaviour among financial institutions. Can provide advice and/or guidelines on the early release of superannuation benefits.

Australian Securities & Investments Commission (ASIC)

Regulates and enforces consumer protection laws covering investments, superannuation, insurance and financial advice.

Office of the Australian Information Commissioner (OAIC)

Investigates allegations of breaches of privacy.